29.6.12

Ispahan Cupcakes


Ispahan rose, also known as “Rose d'Isfahan” or “Pompon des Princes”, is one of the most beautiful and finest Damask roses.They were introduced in Europe during the Crusades on the XIII century, brought from Persia. Damasks flowers are renowned for being the most fragrant roses from the Old Garden. Their fine petals are used to make rose oil, perfumery, rose water, food flavor and teas.  





Ispahan is also one of signature creations of the celebrated French patissier Pierre Hermé: “A subtle combination of sweet rose cream flavored with lychees, whose taste extends those of rose and raspberry while establishing a contrastwith its acidity and power. All of this goodness is contained in a tender,crisp macaron shell”.  This edible masterpiece is certainly one of the most delicious and beautiful dessert I have ever tasted.   





I came up with this cupcake after seeing some varying forms of this dessert that I found on his book Pastries. First I prepared a light cupcake recipe flavored with  rose water. Then I used raspberry compote with a fresh lychee as filling, and rose mascarpone custard for frosting. To embellish then I tried to reproduce a sugar Ispahan rose. Unfortunately I couldn’t find nearby an Ispahan rose to photograph, so my inspiration came from some photos that I have looked online. 



I love my cupcakes. They brought me delightful memories from Paris, when I had the pleasure to enjoy a Ispahan from Pierre Hermé boutique at the Luxemburg Gardens, accompanied by my dear friend Layla. I hope that my cupcakes bring you good feelings too.

Have a good weekend!



Ispahan Cupcakes


Rose Cupcakes
makes 6

1 cup cake flour, sifted
½  cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
½ cup butter, softened
½ teaspoon rose water
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon milk
6 whole fresh or canned lychees 

Line 6 cupcake cups with papers lines. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer bowl and beat with the paddle attachment for about a minute or until light and creamy.
Fill each cupcake line two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Assembly: With a small paring knife cut a cone out of the center of each cupcake. Add about 1 tablespoon of the raspberry compote (recipe below) and 1 whole lychee.  Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip with the rose mascarpone custard (recipe below) and pipe on the cupcakes.

Rose Custard (Créme Anglaise à la rose)
from the book Pierre Herme Pastries

2 gelatin sheets
Scant 1 cup (225 g) heavy cream)
 2 ½ egg yolks (50g)
1/3 cup (65g) superfine granulated sugar
2 Tbsp (30 g) rose syrup
½ tsp (3.5 g ) rose extract in alcohol
Soak the gelatin in cold water for 20 minutes. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Pour the boiling cream over the egg-sugar mixture, beating hard. Pour the custard back into the saucepan and cook, stirring, just until it reaches a temperature of 185°F (85°C). Remove from the heat. Drain and squeeze the gelatin of excess water and incorporate it into the custard. Add the rose syrup and the rose extract. Blend with a handheld immersion blender and set aside to cool.

Rose mascarpone custard
1 cup (250 g) mascarpone cheese
1 ¾ cups (375 g ) rose custard

In a bowl, beat the mascarpone by hand with a whisk until smooth, and then incorporate the rose custard. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Decorate the cupcakes with swirls of rose custard.

Raspberry compote
from the book Pierre Herme Pastries

¾ cup (200g) raspberries
2 tbsp (30g) superfine granulated sugar
2 ¼ Tbsp (40g) still mineral water

Puree the raspberries in a blender. In a saucepan, combine the superfine sugar, still mineral water and raspberry puree and boil until the temperature reaches 185F (85F).







23 comments:

  1. Oh Lulu, those petal flowers look so real!! And pink is my favourite color too. And, and.... the cupcakes liners are so pretty. I don't think I can get this here. So pretty and beautiful but of course you have done so pro in decorate the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! You have eyes for beautiful things, Luciana. I'm always inspired by your gorgeous creation and look forward to seeing more and more of your work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely gorgeous! And I love the story behind them -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look just stunning! I have no other words for that beauty.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! and what a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A work of art.

    Does the recipe make 6 or 12? In one place is says it makes 6, but the instruction calls for 12 liners? I am looking for a small batch recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madonna, thank you!
      The recipe makes 6, sorry about that. Hope you like it! xo

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful pics and congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the loveliest thing!
    you keep amazing me!

    love it!
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are stunning. Your photos are gorgeous. Perhaps the most beautiful cupcakes we have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So delicate and lovely! Would be a perfect dessert for a wedding shower! Congrats on being the top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! This is my first time on your blog and I'm blown away! You have amazing talent - every post is stunning! Can't wait to scroll through all your recipes :) x

    ps: Congrats on making Foodbuzz's Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cupcakes sound divine. I found you through the Foodbuzz Top 9. I'm currently co-hosting a high end dessert challenge (prizes and everything). We would love for you to enter.
    http://whitelightsonwednesday.blogspot.com/2012/07/unique-sweets-link-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your website on Foodbuzz, and I'm soooo glad I did. Your photos are beautiful and they make the roses come to life. You are amazing! I can't wait to see the rest of your site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love lychees. Grew up eating it.
    I am your newest follower. Great blog!
    Awesome skills.
    I wish I have your talent in making this beautiful rose topping.
    I'm new to this blogging thing, visit me at www.theredapronscravings.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cupcakes look so pretty. I admire your patience and your talent!

    - Annika
    http://douxflavor.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful post! The cupcakes are just stunning and I can only imagine how scrumptious they taste, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel like I've just stepped into an Anthropologie-inspired bakery! The photos are super pretty and everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just HAVE to try these! If you know the exact number of the tip please post as well as the technique you used to make the frosting petals! These are the most beautiful cupcakes! Id love to try to make them for a shower!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...